Mickey's Mind

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Plan B

Today the FDA announced that Plan B would be allowed for sale over the counter to women over the age of 18. There have been some questions about the pill's safety and can you really keep it out of the hands of minors.

My own humble opinion? YAY! At last, the government has decided I am mature enough to make choice about my own reproductive health. Do I plan to go buy Plan B once it hits the shelf later this year? Maybe. Do I like the option of knowing it is available? Yes. Do I plan to use it as birth control? No.

I don't think Plan B will lead to a rise in STD's or pre-marital sex. And I don't think girls under 18 will try to buy it. Hell, I'm 23 and still buy my protection late at night. Nothing could be more awkward than running into a coworker with a box of Trojans in your hands.

I think society has been too accepting of teenage mothers. My mom had my older brother at 16, but that was in the early 70's and trust me, no one was accepting of it. It never dawned on me in high school to have a baby. I had a little thing called fear instilled in me. Plus, my older cousins made it through high school with no babies, so its not like I had an excuse.

A lack of education is biggie. I will never forget sitting in the high school gym before class talking to some friends. One girl let it slip that her and her boyfriend went all the way. They didn't use condoms, since he pulled out and "you can't get pregnant off the pre-cum." You can see where I am going with this: Senior year she had a baby boy.

I am all for some form of sexual education, be it at home or in the school. Parent's have to understand that you can't tell a teen not to have sex and that be the end of it. When that happens, sex becomes mysterious and forbidden. It makes it seem that sex is dirty and wrong. Explain to teens the consequences of sex before they are ready. Let your kids know that they can talk to you about anything. Don't judge. It only gets a teen to clam up and you miss an important opportunity to help.

I don't think teens are uncomfortable with the sex talk, I think the parent's are. No one wants to think their 17 year old is having sex. But it happens. The question is: will the 17 year old be prepared?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home